You are here


All persons from a non-exempted country must apply for a visa in order to legally enter French territory, for either a short or an extended stay. It may therefore be necessary to request a visa for the visiting scientist, as well as his/her spouse and children should they be accompanying him/her to France.

Visa requests must be made at least 2 months prior to the scientist’s departure for France, through a French consulate in the scientist’s country of residence. The French embassy or consulate in your home country can inform you regarding the procedure to follow to obtain your visa.

For all Visa demand please check the official State website : France Visa

which visa to request?

The type of visa required for entering France depends on both the duration of and the reason for your stay.


The “long-stay D visa”

This visa concerns scientists and their families planning on spending a stay of over 90 days in France. 

The delivery of this visa requires that you request a residence permit within two months following your arrival in France, in order to legally pursue your stay in the country.

Depending on the reason(s) for your stay, your “extended-stay D visa” may be designated:

  • A “Passeport talent” visa: For those persons in possession of a hosting agreement.
  • A “Student” visa: For PhD students registered at a French institution of higher education, but who do not hold a French contract of employment.
  • A “Passeport talent famille” visa: For the spouse and children under 18 years of age of a scientist or PhD student holding a “Passeport talent” visa.
  • A “Visitor” visa: Notably for the spouse of a PhD student in possession of a “Student” D visa, for the cohabitant of a visiting scientist, and for children over 18 of a visiting scientist.

Your status, rights and obligations will vary according to your particular visa.  For instance, the “Passeport talent" and “Passeport talent famille” visas grant their holders the right to work in France; however, the “Visitor” visa does not grant this right. For this reason, it is essential to request the appropriate visa prior to your departure, for once in France, you will no longer be able to modify your visa or legal status.


The “short-stay C visa” (or "Schengen visa")

This visa concerns scientists and their families planning on spending a stay of 90 or fewer days in France. This visa does not require your applying for a residence permit upon your arrival in France. As a result, your stay may not be extended.