You are here

PhD students with a visa "étudiant" and their spouse

You were already enrolled in France for 2017-2018 and you are continuing your education for 2018-2019

Your student health insurance provider (SMERRA or LMDE) will automatically extend your membership for a year without any application or paperwork requirements from you. From September 1st, 2018, you will not have to pay contributions anymore.

France’s student social security scheme will no longer exist from August 31, 2019. If you are still a student, you will automatically become a member of the local health insurance (CPAM) of your place of residence from September 1st, 2019, at the latest.

Further information can be found here.

You are coming from abroad, you are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland, and you are enrolling as a PhD in France for 2018-2019

You will have to register on the dedicated website for students and upload different documents in order to apply for the membership in the French social security system. 

Further information can be found here.

Please note the following regarding the translation and authentication of your birth certificate:

Only birth certificates in Albanian, German, English, Danish, Croatian, Spanish, Finnish, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovakian, Swedish, Czech and Turkish are accepted. Birth certificates in all other languages must be translated into French by a sworn translator approved by a French Court of Appeal.

Authentication: Apostil or Legalization?
Social Security requires birth certificates from certain countries to be stamped with an apostil or legalized. In either case, this refers to certification that proves the document is an official document. 


Your spouse and your adult children may benefit from the Protection Universelle Maladie (PUMA) of the French social security after 3 months of residency in France and only if they can provide backup documents certifying they do not have any health coverage in the country of origin. They will have to request an affiliation to the Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (CPAM) of the department the are living.

Download the procedure of affiliation for PUMA


The minor child (under 18 years old) benefits from your rights of affiliation of PUMA. For that, you will have to request an attachement.